Friday, February 13, 2015

BMB Reform Blog: Meet Jane!

Greetings again readers!  This week we have an interview with Jane.  She has been an nmom for 15 years now, and has been outspoken about adoption reform and family preservation for quite some time!  Let's see what she has to say!

1.  Please tell us your name and a brief intro to your story. 

My name is Jane.  15 years ago, I gave birth to my beautiful daughter.  Amid a lot of coercion, I was forced to give her up.  I had been threatened with lawsuits if I didn't give her up, as well as constantly told how her life with me would be horrible and her life with her AP's would be so much better.  It was all a lie, as I would be and am a wonderful mother.  I was told it would be a semi open adoption, but that quickly turned to closed.


2.  Are there any aspects of adoption you would like to see changed?  This can be within your own journey or adoption as a whole.

Tons.  Ideally, I would like to see the focus switch to foster children.  Children that NEED homes.
 Often times adoption is about finding babies for wanting families, when it should be about finding homes for needy children.  Take the money out of it.  Get rid of pre-birth matching as it makes us feel more obligated to give people our children, instead of allowing us to think without that added stress. I would love to see an organization start up to be matched with expectant moms and show them the ropes of how to make it with your child.  How to manage your money, parenting tips, etc.  Let's give these women tools to show them they CAN parent.  Show them both sides of the equation and let them make a decision with open knowledge.  Make open adoption agreements legally binding everywhere.  Stop pressuring women to make a decision right then and there in the hospital.  There is so much.  So so much.


3.  What does adoption reform mean to you and why do you think it's important?

Adoption reform means working together towards a common goal to get coercion out of adoption.  I think it's important because women today are STILL getting coerced, lied to, manipulated and that needs to stop.



Thanks so much Jane!


If you or anyone you know would like to be interviewed for this section, or if you have an important reform topic you would like discussed, please feel free to email me!  I look forward to hearing from you!




No comments:

Post a Comment