Thursday, August 29, 2013

Where are the Others?


So I'm curious about something. For years I would have given anything to find other women like me to talk to, cry with and just connect with. Someone who could understand my pain, fear, despair, sadness, etc.

Fast forward a decade (or two) and I am suddenly part of several online groups for birthmoms who are very supportive and open about their decisions. It's really amazing to read their posts and watch as they come around each other for support on the hard days and celebration on the happy days.

So my question is this: Where are the others? Because while I'm seeing a large group of women connected online, there are many more that aren't connected. Maybe they don't know how to get connected. Maybe they've never even considered that there are others out there like them who want to get connected.

So how do we reach out to those ladies? Where are they? And how do we find them?

That's what I'm curious about today.





Photo credit

5 comments:

  1. I'm an adoptive mom, not a birthmom. However, I can tell you that my son's birthmom didn't have Internet access until fairly recently. My daughter's birthmom has only sporadic access. The Internet is great, but there are still a lot of people who don't or can't use it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the internet is a big factor. It's an easy place to find a lot of people. But not everyone uses it. Thanks for the response!

      Delete
  2. When I lost my daughter to adoption, it was before facebook which I think has revolutionized how we communicate. Slowly but surely we'll get there. I also love how it's opening up a whole world for adoption reform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. I agree. The internet has changed how we communicate across the board.

      Delete
  3. I honestly think they don't really think about looking for other birthmoms. They don't realize what a big community there is.

    ReplyDelete